Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Dr. Gupta At Michigan

I always thought that Steve Jobs's 2005 Stanford commencement speech was one of the best I ever heard.

However, Sanjay Gupta - a doctor by training who often reports on medical issues  on CNN - gave the 2012 commencement address at the University of Michigan (my alma mater) last weekend, and I thought it was just great.

Take a look when you get a minute:



Valerie Stauss of the Washington Post wrote about Dr. Gupta's talk earlier this week. Here's an excerpt from what she said:

“Simply being here,” he said at the beginning, “is incredibly personal for me. You see, not only was the foundation for most of my life conceived in this town. I myself was likely conceived in this town. Best bet is the 17th floor of the University Towers though no one is talking still even after 43 years.”

Then he proceeded to tell an amazing story about how his mother, a new immigrant to the United States, was driving through Ann Arbor when her car broke down. Knowing no one, she went to a phone booth (yes, they had them in the mid-1960s), took the telephone book inside and found an Indian name starting with the letter ‘A.

The person who lived at the phone number she dialed wasn’t home, but the young man who did answer wound up becoming her husband and Gupta’s father. It was sheer luck that he liked fixing cars.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/sanjay-guptas-great-speech-at-u-michigan-commencement/2012/04/29/gIQA3kdcqT_blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment