Thursday, July 8, 2010

Downsizing - Making a Condo Into a Stylish Container for a Downsized Life - NYTimes.com


Maybe it's just my age, but I seem to know more people that are thinking about selling either their primary home or vacation home to try to simplify their lives.

This makes sense to me. Houses take a lot of work to maintain, not to mention the expense, and at some point it seems logical to spend your time and energy elsewhere.

The same holds true for getting rid of the clutter in your house. My wife Christina and I have been on a major campaign to clean out all of "stuff" that has accumulated in our house over the years.

As someone once said, the more stuff you own, the more it owns you.

(My secret agenda is to get rid of most of our books in favor of Amazon's Kindle, but so far Chris isn't buying it).

In this morning's New York Times there is a story about a couple selling their home in favor of a condo. It's an interesting story from a design standpoint, but the part that really caught my eye was the following:

Her own mother, she said, had been an inspiration: she died at 101 with only two small boxes to her name. “She gave away things for years,” Lydia said. “You have to stop accumulating, and start clearing out early.”

Downsizing - Making a Condo Into a Stylish Container for a Downsized Life - NYTimes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment