Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Met: Live in HD


I just back from a terrific performance of "Hamlet" by the Metropolitan Opera - only I saw it in a movie theater in Dedham, Massachusetts instead of the upper West side of Manhattan.

This is a great idea of the Met - bringing world class opera across the world in HD.

I'm a late convert to opera, but I will definitely go to more of these productions. You should too - it's a great way to enjoy an afternoon.

Also, it makes sense for the Met to try to broaden its audience. This is the second Met opera that I have seen in a movie theater, and in both cases the average age of the audience was well north of 70 years old. If opera is to continue, it needs to diversify its audience, and this is one way to accomplish this.


The Met: Live in HD

No comments:

Post a Comment